The Best Backend Platforms for Mobile Apps
Mobile usage is at an all-time high with consumers spending a considerable portion of their days hooked to devices, such as phones, tablets, and laptops. Today, mobile applications need to store data and work flawlessly across a range of different devices, which is an extremely tricky thing to achieve if you are an app developer. Therefore, to save time, effort and energy, backend services for mobile apps are becoming increasingly popular.
Also known as mBaaS, these services allow app developers to easily integrate the backend processes with cloud storage. The solution reduces the backend hassle, freeing developers to prioritize front-end development of applications. Here is a look at the 5 best backend services for mobile apps.
Back4App is an extremely useful app, automatically implementing crucial backend components, including file storage, database, APIs, server infrastructure and others, with just a single click. The service incorporates most of the modern-day backend features into the application, such as cloud storage, push notifications and backup routines. It can reportedly reduce coding by 30%, saving developers’ time by at least 80%.
Features: Back4App features automatic emails, class-level permissions, migration tool, cloud code tool, system emails, background job scheduling, push configuration, Twitter & Facebook incorporation, global configuration and push notification setup.
Benefits: Take a look below to understand the advantages of using Back4App for your mobile apps development.
- It is one of the best examples of backend generators and open-source Backend as a Service option on the market.
- The service offers optimized options for storage.
- Graphql APIs available.
- Feature-rich service, with facilities like real-time database access, logs viewer, simple data management and several others.
- Can scale solutions as per your requirements.
Features: When it comes to features, the Amazon-owned service offers mobile-friendly access, databases, long-term Amazon Glacier storage, effective compliance and a dedicated AWS marketplace containing various software programs.
Benefits: Those looking for dependable backend services can choose AWS Amplify for the following reasons-
- Prioritizes ease-of-use for cloud operations with a simple, but effective API
- The service works just as effectively for a multitude of buyers, organizations, and businesses.
- Assists in the creation and deployment of both cloud-based mobile apps and web-based applications.
Firebase was an independent backend service provider, before being acquired and launched by Google. Developers can use it to build apps quicker, without worrying about its infrastructure. Applications developed through Firebase work well on their own and with other apps designed using the same service.
Features: The presence of a real-time database limits the use of Structured Query Language when utilizing Firebase. Other features include authentication, hosting and storage options as well. Due to its association with the Mountain view-based company, Firebase offers unlimited access to Google Analytics.
Benefits: Firebase is the backend service of choice for several mobile development startups. Here are some benefits that make it a worthwhile option to consider.
- The simplified setup procedure allows easy access to files, data and much more.
- The real-time, robust API ensures sufficient security for users.
- Firebase can power data-based applications without the need for server-side infrastructure.
Mobile Hub Oracle Cloud
Oracle Mobile Cloud represents a complete omnichannel platform that helps developers build, manage and deploy mobile apps, enhancing engagement with employees, business partners, and consumers. The service encourages collaboration between front-end and back-end developers through an API First approach.
Benefits: The following advantages make Mobile Hub Oracle Cloud a good mBaaS choice for your app development.
- Manage various APIs or services at once, even when they belong to different stages in the app’s lifecycle.
- Real-time data regarding consumer feedback, adoption, performance and usage of mobile apps.
- The pricing model relies on service requests by the hour. Therefore, developers can limit the cost easily.
Azure Mobile Apps
Most BaaS comes with options for cloud storage and operations, but the degree generally varies. Some may allow you to store your task sheet, while others can let you upload your Facebook news feed. Microsoft’s Azure Mobile Apps provide almost unlimited scope for cloud infrastructure at a minimal cost.
Features: The list of features for Azure’s mBaaS can greatly help developers deal with the backend technicalities. The service automatizes offline data synchronization, app security, on-premises data integration, scalability, database integration, user authentication, social integration and push notifications.
Benefits: Here are some significant advantages that Azure’s service offers for the development of mobile apps.
- Reduces the overhead for the operation, while speeding up the cloud deployment process.
- Saves time and cost on backend system development, limiting maintenance costs as a result as well.
- The infrastructure package ensures security, while also making the program scalable. This, in turn, reduces hassle later on.
Apart from these best backend services for mobile apps mentioned above, startups and developers can choose from several other options. The market for mBaaS is ever-expanding since it allows programmers to accomplish much more in a shorter span. Besides saving energy, utilizing these services can help a company cut costs without hampering the quality of the mobile app.
With a bit of research online, developers can easily locate several open-source and closed-source (proprietary) Backend as a Service options. It has become an imperative part of connecting mobile applications to the cloud, thereby, promoting Enterprise Mobility. Choosing an efficient and end-to-end solution for the mobile backend system is, therefore, a priority for many IT companies today.
Originally published at https://blog.back4app.com on November 12, 2019.