In recent times, app developers use software development kits (SDK) to create websites and apps with modern features. SDKs provide a wide array of tools, libraries, sample codes, user guides, and documentation. Flutter is one of such platforms that developers use to create apps. Keep on reading to learn more about the useful features and functions of Flutter.
Flutter gives developers access to an open-source UI toolkit that allows developers to build desktop, web, and mobile apps with a single codebase. In essence, a single code can be deployed to run on different computing platforms and hardware devices.
Flutter presently supports only the Dart programing language. Some of its features include hot reload technology that enhances the development cycle. In essence, the changes made to the code of the flutter apps reflects in the app interface instantly. Flutter apps enjoy a better performance on mobile because of the ahead-of-time (AOT) technology to compile across both Android and iOS platforms.
Another excellent feature of Flutter is the low-level rendering function powered by a C++ based engine and the Google Skia library. It works seamlessly with Android and iOS SDKs. The Flutter Engine is crucial to the Flutter platform as it serves as a portable runtime for hosting Flutter apps. It is also the engine that powers vital app functions such as file and network I/O, accessibility support, compile toolchain, animation, plugin architecture, core libraries, graphics, and many more.
Watch this seven-minute video from London App Brewery to know more about Flutter Engine capabilities.
Do you want to test run an app development project with Flutter? Click on the link below to download the Flutter project with the complete source code.
The Benefits of Flutter
- Better Performance: Flutter apps enjoy enhanced performance because they use Dart for native app compilation. Moreover, the developer can use the in-built Flutter widgets rather than OEM widgets. Since there would be lesser data transfer between the platform and the app, Flutter apps start faster and respond faster.
- Open-source: The open-source nature of Flutter makes it appealing to both businesses and developers alike. The platform also has extensive documentation and a vibrant community of developers that can offer support and help when the need arises. Flutter and Dart are downloadable online for free.
- Improved Compatibility: Developers can use Flutter widgets, which works seamlessly with different operating systems. So, compatibility problem is no longer an issue. Moreover, flutter widgets can be customized by the developer. So, there is no need to waste time testing Flutter apps on old versions of operating systems.
- Cross-platform development: Flutter is a resource-efficient tool for developing apps for multiple platforms. A single code can be used to deploy both Android and iOS apps. In essence, developers can save lots of time and resources by taking advantage of the cross-platform development capabilities of Flutter.
What is a Backend as a Service?
Backend as a Service, commonly referred to as BaaS, is a cloud service that provides tools and infrastructure for hassle-free app development. The BaaS provider takes care of server management and maintenance. They also provide utilities that help generate backend codes and expedite development tasks. Some of the features of MBaaS platforms include APIs, push notification, authentication, storage, and many more.
Developers on BaaS platform use APIs and SDKs to connect apps to the cloud backend. In essence, BaaS development model requires the building of the API before developing the Android or iOS App. It is considered as a stress-free development model since the service provider takes care of the infrastructure and backend hassles.
The Benefits of Backend as a Service
- Scalability: The procedure for scaling apps on BaaS platforms is fast and easy. And of course, the Backend service provider takes care of it.
- Fast Development: BaaS development model allows developers to create apps faster than ever before. Thanks to the APIs and other development tools available on BaaS platforms.
- Simplicity: BaaS platform is a stress-free model for app development because the service provider takes care of infrastructure and backend services.
- Versatility: Backend as a Service development model makes it easy to create web apps, mobile apps, and deploy APIs on a single platform.
The top 5 BaaS for your Flutter app
Back4app platform service is based on a Open-Source framework, in addition to several other advanced development tools. It’s an excellent platform for creating, hosting, and running scalable apps in record time. Developers can create web, mobile, and IoT apps on Back4apps.
A summary of Back4app features and price is displayed in the table below:
- Scalable Database
- Cloud Code
- Start for free
- Paid plans at $5/month
Parse is an open-source framework for creating application backends with support for many frontend development technologies, including Swift, React Native, Ionic, Java, and Xamarin. Parse can be used to develop mobile, IoT, and web apps.
- NoSQL or SQL databases
- GraphQL or REST APIs
- Social Integration
- Email and Push Notifications
- Available on Github for free
Firebase is a well-known backend platform powered by Google. It has lots of features that enhance the process of web and mobile app development. Firebase is well known for its robust NoSQL database that uses the JSON protocol for data storage actions.
- Realtime Database
- Machine Learning
- Start for free
- Scale under a pay as you go model
Backendless platform provides lots of useful tools for mobile app development. In essence, it is a Mobile Backend as a Service (MBaaS). Backendless offers APIs to all users and presents hosting options such shared cloud hosting, dedicated hosting, and managed servers.
- Realtime updates
- Visual development
- Start for Free
- Paid plans at $25/month
AWS Amplify is a popular BaaS that can be used to host Flutter apps. AWS is secure and Agile; thanks to the distributed servers in different parts of the world. They offer lots of advanced features and resources for achieving various cloud hosting objectives.
- APIs (both REST and GraphQL)
Flutter provides many benefits for developing apps efficiently. The top 5 Backend as a Service platforms described in this article are excellent options for hosting your Flutter apps.